Operate rotary and pneumatic drills to tap sub-surface water and other equipment to drill water wells, or for environmental assessment purposes as well as Geothermal well drilling.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Drive trucks or truck-mounted drills to and from work sites.
- Assemble and position machines, casing pipes, and other equipment, using hand tools.
- Drill or bore holes in rock for grouting, casing, and water.
- Drive or guide truck-mounted equipment into position, level and stabilize rigs, and extend derricks.
- Monitor drilling operations, checking gauges and listening to equipment to assess drilling conditions and to determine the need to adjust drilling or alter equipment.
- Operate controls to stabilize machines and to position and align drills.
- Install casing at a minimum of 10 feet into earth. Must meet state requirements.
- Operate machines to flush earth cuttings from holes.
- Place and install screens, casings, and other well fixtures in order to develop wells.
- Pump water into wells to cool drill bits and to remove drillings.
- Regulate air pressure, rotary speed, and downward pressure, according to the type of rock being drilled.
- Retract drill bit to force discharge dirt from holes.
- Select and attach drill bits and drill rods, adding more rods as hole depths increase, and changing drill bits as needed.
- Select the appropriate drill for the job, using knowledge of rock or soil conditions.
- Start, stop, and control drilling speed of machines and insertion of casings into holes.
- Verify depths and record properly on work orders.
- Verify GPM (gallons per minute) on work orders.
- Receiving Supervisor/Customer approval every 100 feet after initial 300 feet have been drilled.
- Withdraw drill rods from holes.
- Document geological formations encountered during work.
- Retrieve lost equipment from bore holes, using retrieval tools and equipment.
- Disinfect new and old wells in preparation for use.
- Fabricate well casings.
- Required to use current online software program (currently Service Titan).
- Required to keep proper paperwork (vehicle mileage, daily report, well log, etc.)
- Prior to the start of commuting to jobsites in company vehicles a comprehensive pre-trip including fluids checks need to be performed.
- Responsible for keeping vehicles in a clean and orderly condition at all times.
- Responsible for keeping equipment stocked with drill rods and casing.
- Perform routine maintenance and upgrade work on vehicles, equipment, and machines. Work is to be performed with the Driller’s Assistant according to service requirements.
- Other maintenance, includes sharpening drill bits, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor(s) and/or Upper Management.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Decision Making - Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
Experience: Three to five years related experience
Other Requirements, Certificates & Licenses:
- Maintain a valid CDL-B Driver’s License with Airbrake endorsements.
- Obtain and maintain a DOT Medical card (Federal Motor Carrier requirements-paid by the Employer).
- Maintain a good driving record, needs to be covered by Companies’ general liability insurance.
- ME & MA Well Driller License.
- MA Hoisting License with 1B, 2A, and 4B endorsements.
- OSHA 10hour minimum, 30hour preferred.
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills for iPad and/or the ability to adapt to various computer programs/software that the company utilizes for daily operations and using a mobile app for shift timesheet entries.
Key: N (Not Applicable) O (Occasionally) F (Frequently) C (Constantly)
Other Physical Requirements: Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, Ear Plugs/muffs, Steel Toe Safety Shoes)
Must be able to work outside year-round.